A training video for parents — their experiences
Produced by Jay Vaughan and Alan Burnell
Directed by Lesley Manning
Running time: 90 minutes
Parents talking about their experience of adoption, A Training Video for New Parents.
This DVD is the third in our series of training videos. First-hand, frank and honest accounts are given by six parents, who outline, with hindsight, the highs and lows of becoming an adoptive parent, and the lessons they feel other parents could learn from their experience.
Each story is inter-shot with comments on adoption by members of the public and each parents’ story is a trigger video for discussion.
The topics covered include:
- Infertility and failed IVF treatment
- The impact of becoming a parent on couple relationships
- Coping with challenging and difficult behaviour
- Parenting a child with special needs
- Parenting as a same-sex couple
- A father’s role
- Sibling rivalry and parenting violent children
- The need for and impact of therapy
- Things that could be done differently
- Positive outcomes
The DVD is professionally produced and is approximately 90 minutes long.